If you are looking for a hobby, there are no shortages of options to choose from. However, if you are looking for a hobby that involves animals in some way, your choices do narrow a bit. In spite of that, a hobby that involves the study or care of animals can be a great choice.
- Bird watching. This is a hobby that can be as simple as setting up a bird feeder outside of a picture window or, on the other extreme, involve travel to exotic places and the use of high powered binoculars. Learning to recognize birds by both their colors and their sounds, tend to be an important part of the hobby of bird watching.
- Show dogs. Raising dogs to show, is a hobby that can be very detailed, and often times, expensive. Much time must be put into training and grooming. The training part will be as much for the dog owner, as for the dog itself.
- Horseback riding. Spending time on the back of a horse and learning how to handle a horse properly, is a great hobby for an animal lover. Horses and their riders often develop deep bonds with each other.
- Hunting. Perhaps you’re surprised to see this on the list, but it is a hobby that involves animals, in more than one way. In addition to hunting animals, hunting also often involves the accompaniment of hunting dogs. Hunting can be a great hobby to share with your dogs.
- Aquariums. Fish aquariums are a great hobby for any age. They can be a colorful addition to your home and provide an opportunity for learning about different species of fish.
- Rabbits. Raising rabbits is a wonderful animal hobby that has been greatly encouraged by 4-H programs. Rabbits can be raised in the confines of a cage, either inside or outside, which makes them a great choice for families without a lot of space.
- Chickens. Many people raise chicken’s as a hobby. Chicken eggs can be purchased and hatched in the spring. Over the summer, the owner will have the chance to watch the chicks grow into adult hens and roosters. There are many varieties of chickens to choose from, some of which, have very colorful plumage.
- Goats. Raising goats can be a very interesting animal related hobby. Goats are known for their unusual antics. They love to climb on top of things to get a higher view. Their milk can also be used for making cheese.
- Calves. This is another animal hobby made popular by the 4-H clubs, raising calves. Of course, you need the proper amount of space for this project, since calves turn into full grown cows.
- Rodeo. Although we’ve already mentioned horseback riding, rodeo goes beyond that simple definition. Rodeo can involve a number of different animal related activities: calf roping, barrel riding, bronc riding and bull riding. All of these activities require a lot of training and practice.
The top ten hobbies involving animals range from the quiet serenity of bird watching to the raucous energy of a rodeo. Some of the selections are fairly inexpensive, while others will require ongoing investments of time and money,