Whether he works for the same company you do, or somewhere else, you always want to be friends with an IT guru. No matter how techno-savvy you may be, chances are, he knows more than you do. If you’re like me, you know how to turn on the computer and use it, but if something is not working right you’re lost. I don’t care how geeky he may be, here are 10 reasons to make him your friend. I know not all IT gurus are guys, but for some reason most of them are, so I’ll default to the male gender for this exercise.
- Save money – If you have a computer problem, knowing an IT guy can save you money. Even if he doesn’t fix the problem himself he can give you an idea of what the problem is and how to fix it. Then you won’t be at the mercy of the repair guy.
- Save time – Knowing someone you can call up on evenings and weekends can really save you time if you’re having a technical problem. Sometimes a simple solution can save you hours of aggravation.
- Learn – When an IT guru starts talking, most people’s eyes start to glaze over. Pay attention and you might learn something. There’s a fount on knowledge you can tap into that could really help you down the road.
- Maintenance – Many computer problems can be prevented just by doing some routine maintenance. Your IT friend can let you know what you should be doing to prevent problems in the future and get the most out of the equipment you have.
- Product advice – If you’re in the market for some new computer equipment or want to find out about the latest techno device, an IT friend can give you invaluable advice. He’s constantly researching the latest gizmos and knows what works and what products may have problems.
- Shortcuts – As your pal, the IT guru, is helping you out with a problem you may find him doing something that catches your attention. These guys know how to navigate through computer menus very quickly and can show you ways to do things with a simple keystroke.
- Slick tricks – When you’re hanging out with your IT buddy chances are the conversation will turn to your common technical frustrations. This guy can show you how to get the most out of anything from your cell phone to your printer.
- Latest gadgets – IT guys are always up on the latest technology as its being developed. If you want to stay on the cutting edge and impress your other friends, this is the guy to know.
- Good deals – Besides knowing all about the latest equipment, your IT friend can also let you know where to get the best deals. Since he’s always upgrading his stuff, maybe you can get his cast-offs really cheap or for nothing.
- Security – Since this guy knows all about computer hackers and viruses, your new BBF can let you know what measures you should be taking to keep your computer secure. He could even show you how to sabotage someone else if you have a score to settle or just want to play a prank on a friend.
It takes a special mind set to be an IT guru. He may not have much of a personality or care much about his appearance, but don’t write him off. If you’re having a technical problem that you need some help with, maybe you should start including him in your circle of friends.